- Fatty based tissue are derived from fat cells namely adipocytes
- The most commonest presentation is as a benign lipoma
- Occasionally these can get bigger and form atypical lipomatous tumours (ALT) which do have a small chance of transformation into a soft tissue sarcoma.
- As they can get bigger they may cause symptoms and usually surgical excision is advised after appropriate thorough investigation.
- Most can be detected with an ultrasound from our specialist Sarcoma radiologist. Some will require further assessment, particularly large lipomas with a MRI scan.
If you have a lipoma, get in touch here to book and appointment for assessment