Manchester Lumps Clinic specialises in earlier detection of soft tissue sarcoma and has a multidisciplinary team to address such concerning lumps ensuring:
- Rapid assessment
- Fast, accurate first time diagnostics
- Urgent soft tissue biopsy with results
- Multidisciplinary management plans
Background – what is sarcoma?
- A rare type of cancer which originates from mesenchymal tissue and can present as soft tissue, bone or GIST sarcomas.
- 1% of all cancers worldwide.
- Approximately 5000 diagnosed cases per year
- Rare for GP’s and other clinicians to see
- Earlier detection paramount in patient survival
Please refer any patient with:
- Lump increasing in size, deep, painful, fungating, previous surgery, Rxt
- Unexplained bone pain, X-ray suspicious features, <25yrs with bone pain, unexplained fracture
Most patients will require an USS or MRI scan and if suspicious open tissue biopsy (Tru Cut). Further investigations like X-rays and CT scans may be required.
Principles of management of soft tissue sarcoma are wide surgical excision once diagnosis is established. Occasionally radiotherapy may play a role to assist in treatment.
See Sarcoma UK for further information or get in touch to arrange rapid assessment and investigation
Read our blog post What is soft tissue sarcoma.